Coleman's expressions

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Culminating Activity

Culminating Activity:

For my EME 5405 Culminating Activity, I opt to write a book review on Thomas Friedman’s, The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century.  I have selected this option for a number of reasons:
  • I am not currently in the classroom this semester and have already had the experience of creating Internet-based curriculum activities and developing a web page (options 1 & 2).

  • This book has a direct relationship to the foundation for my teaching EME 2040, Introduction to Educational Technology.  It is a recent bestseller and therefore appealing to a broad audience (I hope!).  I have always been interested in social forecasting and remember well when I first read John Naisbitt’s fascinating Megatrends in the mid-80s – also interesting to look back now at the new directions that did transform our lives!  I have some of the same expectations for Friedman’s book and hope the information gleaned and critiqued will offer new perspectives in my teaching/learning venues.

  • Perhaps with additional time and editing, I can prepare and submit my book review for publication to an online journal related to instructional technology. Okay, that may be ambitious, but I’m always thinking of bigger challenges!  

My plan for successfully completing this assignment includes reading the book with extensive use of note-taking regarding not only the content and application, but also for critique and evaluation; researching resources from the book; and writing a review with the rubric criteria in mind.  

For this post, I’m using Blogger for Word which I downloaded from the Blogger site.  

3 Comments:

  • You should publish what you produce! Your experience as a teacher and learner of technology will give a great perspective to the subject.

    I chose the annotated bibliography because I too had completed options 1 & 2 previously. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts as you read the book.

    Has Megatrends turned out to be correct? Did Naisbitt's social forecasting come to pass?

    Friedman's title is intriguing. With technology becoming obsolete and the volume of information increasing at such a rapid rate, "A Brief History" could turn out to encompass a whole lot! Best of luck!
    Shelly #:>)

    By Blogger Shelly D, at 1/25/2006 7:32 PM  

  • I have just started reading, Thomas Friedman’s, The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century. It is an eyeopening read. I look forward to reading your book review. I think it is a great idea that you summit your review for publication. We as teachers do so much and do not take the time to share our knowledge with others.

    Jenni

    By Blogger Jenni Meriwether, at 1/27/2006 7:21 AM  

  • Hi Marie,
    Thank you for your comments regarding my questions about technology use at school. I was reminded how overextended teachers are and how little support they have to bring about changes. With so many budget cuts it is doubtful that a technology support person will be hired at our school to implement any changes. This course has opened my eyes to all the possibilities as well as pitfalls of technology use. My children do go to the computer lab every week for "drill and skill" exercises, and hopefully sometime they will be able to experience a curriculum that is integrated with technology that calls on higher order thinking skills.
    I decided to review a book also, Failure to Connect: How Computers Affect Our Children's Minds for Better and Worse, because I am not in the classroom at this point. It is very interesting so far! I am looking forward to reading your review and am inspired by your decision to try and publish your review.
    Have a great day!
    Patricia Jacobs

    By Blogger Patricia, at 2/04/2006 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home