Coleman's expressions

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Curriculum Unit - UBD: Stage 3

Continuing the curriculum planning for my unit on Ethical, Legal and Social Issues, I’ve selected a number of learning activities to meet the desired results and assessment evidence. In addition, I’ve incorporated technology as a supportive tool to enhance the activities. There are many web sites that supplement the textbook readings and provide not only updated and in-depth information but also applicable examples. I’ve also included a model WebQuest, blogs, wikis, technology productions tools (word processing and/or publishing, PowerPoint) and online quizzes.

Please note that since this is college-level course, many of the activities will be done outside of the allotted class time – in planning this unit, I’m using the old formula (that is often a ‘joke’) of expecting students to spend 2-3 times the amount of time outside of class as during class time.


Learning Activities

8 Comments:

  • Marie - I think you did a great job sequencing your plans and relating them to the WHERETO elements of instructional planning. The only thing I may add is a revisit to your KWL chart at the end of the unit.

    I agree that many students do not spend the time needed outside of class but you have selected some very rich content that should interest them regardless of whether they desire to become teachers.

    -KD :)

    By Blogger Kara Dawson, at 4/09/2006 9:29 AM  

  • How right you are - I did neglect to add the "L" of KWL at the end of the unit and will make sure it is there for the final plans!

    Thanks!

    By Blogger Marie C, at 4/09/2006 11:02 AM  

  • Marie,

    Your plan is very impressive. You've given me plenty of ideas that I can use for my own unit.

    By Blogger J. Harmon, at 4/09/2006 12:35 PM  

  • This is a class I would find interesting. I am currious how long the entire unit will last. There seems to be a good amount of work in the unit. Also, seeing your plan has also helped me see another example of WHERETO that will hopefully help me implement it better.

    By Blogger Shane, at 4/09/2006 4:21 PM  

  • Marie,

    I like the specific detail in your outline. I have yet to add that to my plan. I hope that I can find some of the resources rather than making all of them myself.

    Jessica

    By Blogger JS, at 4/09/2006 7:21 PM  

  • Marie,

    Thank you for providing a model of how to integrate the WHERETO elements. Seeing your examples helped me to rethink how I can increase the depth of my activities. Your activities were clear and concise.

    Nancy

    By Blogger Nancy, at 4/10/2006 4:24 PM  

  • It looks like you've used the best of both worlds - tried-and-true classics like the KWL combined with online activities, like the Plagarism quiz I began to take. I all seems very informative!

    Good luck on the rest of your unit!
    Jenny

    By Blogger Jenny, at 4/11/2006 6:33 PM  

  • Marie,
    Your unit looks appears very well organized with the WHERETO elements added. I'm sure this will make it easier as you develop it further. I am so impressed that one of the sources you're using is our class wiki from EME5405. Now that's using a source you know well!

    By Blogger kim hanson, at 4/11/2006 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home